The American National Standard A326.3 describes the test method for measuring dynamic coefficient of friction (DCOF) of hard surface flooring materials in the laboratory and in the field. The standard also includes DCOF specifications, product use classifications and guidance on defining hard surface flooring materials. This standard serves as a guide to the general public, manufacturers, distributors, specifiers, architects, contractors, testing laboratories, building owners, businesses and other professionals.
An electronic copy of the standard is available as a free download below.
Whether you manufacture, specify, sell, install or maintain hard surface flooring material, it’s important to know its DCOF.
Need help? Our lab runs the A326.3 test. Send us your product today, or call us regarding in situ testing.
History of ANSI A326.3
Since 2012, the DCOF AcuTest® has been the ceramic tile industry standard for testing DCOF. Section 9.6 of ANSI A137.1, the American National Standard Specifications for Ceramic Tile, contained the method. Although professionals initially developed the method for ceramic tile floors, the testing was equally applicable and useful with other hard surface flooring.
With facility managers, inspectors, cleaning professionals and forensic engineers increasingly using the method in the field, ANSI A326.3, Test Method for Dynamic Coefficient of Friction of Hard Surface Flooring Materials, was developed based on the DCOF AcuTest® and released in 2017.
Articles About ANSI A326.3
- ANSI A326.3 Product Use Classification Press Conference Presented at the 2022 International Surfaces Event (Released 2022)
- National Standard, ANSI A326.3, Now Requires Hard Surface Flooring Manufacturers To Provide Product Use Classifications Based on Their Slip Resistance Properties (Released 2022)
- Slip and Fall Study Report: Enhancing Floor Safety Through Slip Resistance Testing, Maintenance Protocols and Risk Awareness (Provided courtesy of CNA; copyright © 2017 CNA; released 2017)
- Research Supporting an ANSI American National Standard for Slip Resistance (Released 2016)
- TCNA Technical Bulletin – Coefficient of Friction and the DCOF AcuTest® (Released 2013)
- Coefficient of Friction: New Method, New Requirements – Introducing the DCOF AcuTest® (Released 2012)
- Introducing the New Standard for Measuring Coefficient of Friction (Released 2012)
- Coefficient of Friction: Time Is Running Out, Don’t Get Left Behind (Released 2013)
- DCOF: Legal Liabilities: Stopping the Falls, by Elianne Halbersberg (Content not provided nor approved by TCNA; released 2013)
- Introduction of DCOF: Stranger Than Friction, by Robert Nieminen (Content not provided nor approved by TCNA; released 2013)
- What Is Friction, and How Does It Relate to Slip Resistance, by Jim Neel (Content not provided nor approved by TCNA; released 2013)