In recognition of his exceptional and longstanding contributions to the success of the tile and stone industry, the National Tile Contractors Association (NTCA) awarded TCNA Executive Director Eric Astrachan with the Joe Tarver Lifetime Achievement Award at Coverings 2015, culminating their annual awards presentation attended by hundreds of industry leaders and Coverings attendees.
In presenting the Joe Tarver Lifetime Achievement Award to Astrachan, NTCA President James Woelfel called Astrachan “passionate, hardworking, dedicated, good natured, but tough—a champion of industry unity and building consensus.” Calling Astrachan’s achievements over the past 23 years in the tile industry “too numerous to list,” Woelfel mentioned a few of the most noteworthy when presenting the award:
- Expansion of TCNA into an international organization, growing its membership to an all-time high, and expansion of the TCNA lab’s testing and research capabilities.
- Development of Green Squared®, the multi-attribute sustainability standard for tile and related materials, and development of a 3rd party certified Environmental Product Declaration (EPD) for North American-made ceramic tile—both of which provide mechanisms for making informed product choices with regard to product sustainability and environmental concerns.
- Improved specifications and installation quality through expansion of the TCNA Handbook, the construction industry’s generic specification guide for tile, to include natural stone installation methods, installer and contractor credentialing programs, ISO mortar and grout specifications, and the “TCNA Tile Initiative” and “Tile: The Natural Choice” color inserts.
- Leader in numerous product quality and safety standards including slip resistance safety testing, water absorption testing, ground-breaking work on a thin tile standard, development of the ANSI A118.15 High Performance mortar standard, development of the ANSI A137.2 glass tile standard, and the overhaul of the ANSI A137.1 ceramic tile standard.
- Active in innumerable committees and boards: TCNA Handbook Committee (Chairman), Coverings Board of Directors (Secretary and Treasurer), ISO/TC 189 Committee (Head of U.S. Delegation, Convener of Working Group 2, and member of all other working groups), member of ASTM C21 Committee on Ceramic Whitewares and Related Products, member of ASTM F13 Committee on Pedestrian/Walkway Safety and Footwear, ASC A108 Committee (Co-secretary), Porcelain Tile Certification Agency (Board member), Ceramic Tile Education Foundation (Board member), World Ceramic Tiles Forum (U.S. delegate).
In accepting the award, Astrachan credited the TCNA staff for making these successes possible, saying that he’s “fortunate to have such a dedicated and talented team working on standards and research.” He added that “members of TCNA also deserve credit for these achievements.” Visibly moved, he thanked the National Tile Contractors Association and its many members for the award and for the work NTCA does on behalf of the tile industry.